Saturday 13 March 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes


I've been meaning to have a go at Red Velvet Cupcakes for some time.... and an ongoing thread on the Omlet Forum spurred me on for this weeks bake.

I used the recipe from Martha Stewarts Cupcakes book - with a yeild of 24 standard sized muffins (2 silicone tray loads).

The photos do no justice. The mix was a vampire blood red - far far FAR brighter  and truly shocking to say the least. It certainely put a smile on my face and I couldn't stop laughing as I made them.


Unlike my attempt with macarons, the red velvet cupcakes did keep the colour and all rose well in the oven. I also managed to get exactly 24 cupcakes out of the mixture.


Iced them with a basic cream cheese icing. The white made the red really stand out - but unfortuantely, again - the photos don't do the colour any justice.


Would I make them again ? Most certainley.... but I'd likely go with a different recipe as I wasn't bowled over with this one. It was ok - but nothing special....

1 comment:

  1. The cupcakes look very tasty, especially with the cream cheese on, but I'll wait till you find a much better recipe for red velvet cupcakes before giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !